Climate change is one of the greatest threats mankind faces.
It transcends national boundaries, and threatens to affect us all in many different ways: from risks to supply chains, to the direct impact that changes in the climate will have on our customers’ lives and the operation of our stores.
Retail businesses can play a powerful role in tackling climate change. We are determined not only to play our part, but to play a leading role.
On the way to our overall goal of becoming a zero-carbon business by 2050, we have set ourselves a number of targets.
- By 2020, we will halve carbon emissions from our 2006/7 baseline portfolio of stores
- New stores built between 2007 and 2020 to emit half the CO2 of a 2006 new store
- To reduce the carbon emissions of the products in our supply chain by 30% by 2020
- To find ways to help our customers reduce their own carbon footprints by 50% by 2020
- To reduce the carbon emissions per case of goods delivered by 25% by 2020 against a baseline of 2011/12