Tesco has been included in key responsible investment indices and received some prestigious awards for our corporate responsibility strategy and performance
Britain's Top Employers 2013
Tesco has been certified as one of Britain's Top Employers 2013. The accolade is based on research conducted by the Corporate Research Foundation (CRF) Institute, which takes into account the key colleague benefits, training schemes and opportunities for career development open to colleagues. It's an annual process in which hundreds of employers are initially considered, but only those organisations that meet the stringent research criteria receive the certification, which is valid for one year. For more information about the CRF Institute and the research, go to www.britainstopemployers.co.uk or read a blog by Judith Nelson, the UK Personnel Director.
Grocer Gold Awards
We won 'Green Retailer of the Year' at the Grocer Gold Awards 2012. This award recognises all the great work we’ve been doing across our markets to reduce our impact on the environment. We have continued to lead the way on low-carbon buildings by opening the first zero carbon store in Asia. In the UK we have transferred more distribution to rail than any other retailer. We have also launched the Tesco Knowledge Hub, allowing our suppliers, for the first time, to work more closely with us and each other to manage their environmental impact.
Tesco has been a member of the FTSE4Good Index, a responsible investment index, since 2001.
Dow Jones Sustainability Index
Tesco has been a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability Index, a responsible investment index, since 2008.
Carbon Disclosure Project
In September 2012, we were named as one of the top ten green companies in the UK by the Carbon Disclosure Project for our continued commitment to climate change. The CDP ranks the top 500 companies in the world based on their environmental efforts.
Business charity awards
Tesco UK won Best Charity Partnership in the Retail and Leisure Industry at the Business Charity Awards. The award recognises our outstanding work with Alzheimer’s Society and Alzheimer Scotland, our Charity of the Year 2011.
Environmental and community initiatives
We have also won awards for specific environmental and community initiatives, including:
- Jiashan distribution centre awarded the 'Green Supply Chain Award' by The Global Supply Chain Council in China.
- Best Corporate Responsibility Report at Good Awards 2011
- Recognised as ‘Highest percentage of Women Employer – IT’ at the STPI Karnataka IT Export Awards
- Received Sustainable Energy Innovation award from the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland for our zero-carbon Cabra store
- Award from the Energy and Environment project for the Jaromer zero-carbon store
- Named leading 'company promoting health' for our Healthy Appetite initiative by Poland's best selling health magazine, Vita
- Tesco for Schools awarded an Impact Award for Best Community Relations Program 2012, awarded by the League of American Communications Professionals
- Ranked seventh in the Polish Responsible Business Rankings
- Ranked as Number 1 in the hypermarket sector of Korea Sustainability Index by Korea Standard Association (KSA) for the last 3 years
- Named Korea’s Most Admired Company by the Korea Management Consulting Association (KMAC)
- Ranked fourth in the Top 15 ‘Good Companies’ by the Korea Standard Association (KSA)
- Outstanding Green Retailer by Korea Consumer Group
- Received 'Outstanding Green Logistics Certificate' by Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs
- Top employer for apprentices at the City and Guild's Lion Awards 2013
- International Achievement of the Year at the Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Cooling Awards 2012
- Winner of the Private Sector Fleet of the Year Award at the Green Fleet Awards 2012
- Freight Logistics Achievement of the Year at the National Rail Awards 2012
- Named ‘Most Customer Focused Company’ at the Via Bona corporate responsibility awards, for offering free grocery home shopping deliveries to disabled people
- Mercury Muse 2012 Top Retail Brand Award for our Vitakids range of healthy products for children and Vitafit education corners