Tesco has been included in key responsible investment indices this year, and received some prestigious awards for our corporate responsibility strategy and performance
Britain's Top Employers 2013
Tesco has been certified as one of Britain's Top Employers 2013. The accolade is based on research conducted by the Corporate Research Foundation (CRF) Institute, which takes into account the key colleague benefits, training schemes and opportunities for career development open to colleagues. It's an annual process in which hundreds of employers are initially considered, but only those organisations that meet the stringent research criteria receive the certification, which is valid for one year. For more information about the CRF Institute and the research, go to www.britainstopemployers.co.uk or read a blog by Judith Nelson, the UK Personnel Director.
Grocer Gold Awards
We won 'Green Retailer of the Year' at the Grocer Gold Awards 2012. This award recognises all the great work we’ve been doing across our markets to reduce our impact on the environment. We have continued to lead the way on low-carbon buildings by opening the first zero carbon store in Asia. In the UK we have transferred more distribution to rail than any other retailer. We have also launched the Tesco Knowledge Hub, allowing our suppliers, for the first time, to work more closely with us and each other to manage their environmental impact.
Tesco has been a member of the FTSE4Good Index, a responsible investment index, since 2001. In March 2012 we achieved a rating of 95 out of 100.
Dow Jones Sustainability Index
Tesco has been a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability Index, a responsible investment index, since 2008.
Carbon Disclosure Project
In September 2012, we were named as one of the top ten green companies in the UK by the Carbon Disclosure Project for our continued commitment to climate change. The CDP ranks the top 500 companies in the world based on their environmental efforts.
Business charity awards
Tesco UK won Best Charity Partnership in the Retail and Leisure Industry at the Business Charity Awards. The award recognises our outstanding work with Alzheimer’s Society and Alzheimer Scotland, our Charity of the Year 2011.
Environmental and community initiatives
We have also won awards for specific environmental and community initiatives, including:
- Jiashan distribution centre awarded the 'Green Supply Chain Award' by The Global Supply Chain Council in China.
- Best Corporate Responsibility Report at Good Awards 2011
- Award from the Energy and Environment project for the Jaromer zero-carbon store
- Named leading 'company promoting health' for our Healthy Appetite initiative by Poland's best selling health magazine, Vita
- Most ecological supermarket brand for the third year in a row in Reader's Digest European Trusted Brand list
- 'Campaign of the Year - local communities' in the Stevie's International Business Awards for Tesco for Schools
- Ranked number 1 in the Korean Sustainability Index for the third consecutive year
- Hall of Fame in Global Green Management Excellence Awards by KMAR
- Outstanding Green Retailer by Korea Consumer Group
- Received 'Outstanding Green Logistics Certificate' by Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs
- International Achievement of the Year at the Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Cooling Awards 2012
- Winner of the Private Sector Fleet of the Year Award at the Green Fleet Awards 2012
- Freight Logistics Achievement of the Year at the National Rail Awards 2012
- Regeneration Award (Birmingham Spring Hill development), Green Apple Awards