14 June, 2012
Tesco buys digital music platform
Tesco has bought WE7, a leading digital music platform, which will offer customers a wider choice in how they consume music and complement Tesco’s current music offer in store and online.
The move follows the acquisition last year of blinkbox - recently voted the UK’s best online movie service by Channel 5’s The Gadget Show - and is the latest step in Tesco’s strategy to offer customers new and innovative ways of accessing digital entertainment.
WE7 is a leading free-to-listen, personalised internet radio service where customers can listen to the music they love and discover new music that they might like, based on their previous selections. With an extensive library of 11 million tracks, WE7 offers the latest releases, well-known classics and a comprehensive catalogue of all music genres.
The service is available at www.WE7.com on PC and Mac and via apps on iPhone, iPad and Android smart phones and tablets. Tesco plans to launch additional digital music services from the WE7 platform in the coming months.
Mark George, Digital Director at Tesco, said "Customers and technology together are transforming the way we listen to music. Tesco is already one of the UK’s largest retailers of CDs; this move will help us offer a greater choice for the growing number of customers who want to access music instantly on any device, whenever and wherever they want. WE7 has a great team and a good technology platform from which we can launch a range of digital music services in the future.”
Steve Purdham, CEO of WE7 said “We are very excited by the prospect of teaming up with Tesco. With its loyal customer base, numerous marketing channels and international reach, we believe Tesco is the perfect partner to bring WE7’s music services to a wider audience. Tesco has been an innovator in entertainment retailing for many years and we look forward to continuing this innovation digitally.”
Tesco has bought a 91% stake in WE7 and will purchase the remaining shares within a period of weeks. The purchase price was £10.8 million.
Notes to Editors:
About Tesco’s online business
- In 2012/13 Tesco will increase its capital investment in its online business to around £150m.
- Tesco launched its new web platform for Tesco Direct in March 2012. By Christmas the Direct range will be increased to 200,000 items, thanks in part to third-party Sellers.
- Click & Collect is a key component of Tesco’s multi-channel offering. 700 new collection points for Tesco Direct orders will be added in the next year – customers can already collect from over 770 stores, including 70 Express stores. The number of stores with collection points for grocery will also increase.
- blinkbox gives customers the latest release blockbuster movies to watch instantly, without subscription, the same day as DVD. The service is available on PC, games consoles, tablet and Smart TV.
- Tesco recently won ‘Retailer Initiative of the Year’ for its blinkbox ‘Buy the Physical, Get the Digital’ offer at the British Video Association (BVA) industry awards. The service allows customers who purchase a DVD or Blu-ray to also own the movie online at no extra cost.
- WE7 is a UK based music site which creates personal radio stations for its users.
- WE7 believes that the music users like is more important than in-depth music knowledge. The more users tell WE7 about what they like and don’t like the more WE7 can select songs for their enjoyment. Effectively, WE7.com is your own free and easy personal radio.
- Originally founded in 2006 by John Taysom who brought in CTO Gareth Reakes. CEO, Steve Purdham and musician Peter Gabriel became founder investors in early 2007 and WE7 was born in May 2007 - launching its streaming service in November 2008. WE7 is an investment led company with support from Eden Ventures, Pentech Ventures, Qualcomm Ventures and Peter Gabriel.
For more information please contact the Tesco Press Office on
Tesco is the UK's largest retailer and one of the world's leading international retailers. Tesco has around 5,000 stores worldwide, employing over 500,000 people in the 14 countries in which it operates. Our core purpose is to create value for customers to earn their lifetime loyalty. Our success depends on people: the people who shop with us and the people who work with us.
Stay updated with our press releases by registering for our RSS feed or email alerts.
For journalist enquiries only contact the Tesco Media Centre Monday to Friday,
8am to 6:30pm on:
+44(0) 1992 644 645
Out of hours call:
+44(0) 1992 644 733