20 November, 2013
Tesco to sell the new Xbox One from midnight on Thursday
It’s set to be one of the most desirable presents this Christmas and it launches this week.
But getting your hands on the new Xbox One games console might not be so easy unless you have pre-ordered.
But fear not! As the largest retailer in the UK, Tesco will be selling stock on a first come first served basis at more than 100 of its Extra stores from midnight on Thursday Nov 21*. It will also be available online whilst stocks last.
Shoppers will also be able to try out the new console for themselves at the following stores: Cheshunt Extra on Friday Nov 22; Coventry Extra on Saturday Nov 23 and Slough on Sunday Nov 24.
As it’s the first new Xbox console to be launched in eight years, Tesco is marking the occasion by altering the signs on the front of 10 of its stores** to include the Xbox logo (image attached).
Tesco Home Entertainment Manager Stephen Owusu said: “The launch of the Xbox One is a massive event for millions of gamers around the world and the console is sure to top many Christmas present lists this year.
“The last Xbox console – the Xbox 360 – was launched eight years ago so there has been a lot of expectation and talk from gamers about this latest version. If the US launch is anything to go by these will fly off the shelves.
“We have worked closely with Microsoft to ensure we have a good quantity of initial stock but we will be getting more as we get nearer to Christmas.”
In an eventful week for gamers, major rival Sony will launch the new PlayStation 4 – a week later.
Tesco will sell the Xbox One for £429.
Note to editors:
- Xbox One will go on sale at midnight on Thursday 21st November and we expect to see customers buying overnight and into the early hours of Friday.
- Tesco is the UK’s fastest growing entertainment retailer with sales growing at seven per cent, year on year.
- Tesco was market leader on this key gaming releases – Grand Theft Auto 5; Call of Duty Ghosts; and FIFA 14.
- You can buy online at http://www.tesco.com/direct/
- Xbox 360 was the biggest selling console of its time and the UK’s biggest selling console in 2012 and so far in 2013. More information about Xbox can be found online at www.xbox.com
* To locate a Tesco store selling Xbox One: www.tesco.com/XboxOne
** The 10 Tesco stores with Xbox One signage are as follows: Chesterfield Extra; Coventry Arena Extra; Dundee Extra; Gallions Reach Extra; Blackpool Clifton Extra; Mansfield Jubilee Extra; Redditch Extra; Cheshunt Extra; Slough Wellington Extra; and Watford Extra.