Tesco UK – Tesco in the UK
Our operations in the UK are the largest within the Group, with over 3300 stores and over 310,000 colleagues. We have strengthened the foundations of the UK business and we are now accelerating plans to deliver the most compelling offer for customers with sharper prices, improved quality, stronger ranges and better service.
Clubcard, introduced in 1996, is our way of saying thank-you to our customers. 38 million Clubcard customers shopping in our 7,300 stores across the Group give us unrivaled insight into consumer habits, trends and preferences. We work closely with our marketing insight business dunnhumby to build our customers a rich and personalised offer and to offer additional incentives to shop with us.
From Finest* and Everyday Value to Chokablok and Technika, our own-label range is an area of substantial and growing strategic importance.
We were the first supermarket to launch a Value range in 1993 and over the years have continued to drive the pace of innovation. Finest* and Everyday Value are now the two largest food brands in the UK.
Building a Better Tesco
Our Building a Better Tesco plan is enabling us to drive further improvements in the UK shopping trip and deliver the things that matter to our customers – great service, range, quality and great value. Our key priorities are:
- Service & Staff: We're focused on providing further customer service training. We have delivered training to more than 250,000 colleagues in the UK, helping them to make every moment with customers matter.
- Stores & Formats: Over the last two years, we have refreshed over a third of our UK stores in some way, prioritising the departments that matter most to customers, primarily fresh food.
- Range & Quality: We have completed the work to improve our 8,000 core Tesco products. We recently re-launched our finest* and Healthy Living range and have had a great response from customers. Our own-label sales account for around half of our total UK sales (excluding petrol).
- Price & Value: This is more important than ever in a market which has become even more competitive. We want prices to be stable, we want them to be logical and, of course, we want them to be competitive. Our Price Promise has now been in place for over a year and provides instant reassurance to customers that on fresh foods, on own-label and on branded products they will not lose out at Tesco.
- Brand & Marketing: Clubcard is more important now than it has ever been before. It is at the core of providing a differentiated, personalised offer and it allows customers to choose how to unlock greater value for themselves.
- Clicks & Bricks: We have a market-leading, profitable grocery home shopping business that already generates £2.5 billion of sales in the UK. By any measure our service is industry leading, and it represents a world-class platform from which to build our position of leadership in the multichannel world.