Five year record
Details of our financial performance over the last five years
|Financial statistics (£m)|
|Sales including VAT excluding IFRIC 13||62,537||67,074||71,402||70,712||70,894|
|Revenue excluding IFRIC 13|
|Group revenue excluding IFRIC 13||57,502||61,174||64,541||63,967||64,149|
|Group trading profit||3,412||3,714||3,969||3,525||3,315|
|Operating profit margin4||6.0%||6.4%||6.5%||3.7%||4.1%|
|Share of post-tax profits of joint ventures and associates||33||57||91||72||60|
|Net finance costs||(314)||(333)||(235)||(397)||(432)|
|Profit before tax||3,176||3,641||4,038||2,057||2,259|
|Profit for the year from continuing operations||2,336||2,777||3,164||1,528||1,912|
|Profit for the period||2,336||2,671||2,814||24||970|
|Owners of the parent||2,327||2,655||2,806||28||974|
|Underlying profit before tax – continuing operations5||3,39518||3,85318||4,14918||3,280||3,054|
|Other financial statistics|
|Diluted earnings per share – continuing operations||29.19p||34.25p||39.23p||19.06p||23.72p|
|Underlying diluted earnings per share – continuing operations||31.66p||36.26p||40.31p||33.74p||32.05p|
|Dividend per share6||13.05p||14.46p||14.76p||14.76p||14.76p|
|Return on capital employed (‘ROCE’)7||12.1%||12.9%9||14.7%10||14.5%19||13.6%19|
|Total shareholder return8||9.5%||6.7%||(3.0)%||2.1%||3.7%|
|Net debt (£m)||7,929||6,790||6,838||6,597||6,597|
|Enterprise value (£m)11||41,442||39,462||32,324||36,578||33,597|
|Group retail statistics|
|Number of stores||4,83614||5,26512||6,049||6,653||7,305|
|Total sales area – 000 sq ft13||95,23115||103,17212||110,563||106,040||109,572|
|Average full-time equivalent employees||366,413||382,049||401,791||388,375||391,868|
|UK retail statistics|
|Number of stores||2,507||2,715||2,979||3,146||3,378|
|Total sales area – 000 sq ft13||34,237||36,722||39,082||40,495||41,823|
|Average full-time equivalent employees||196,604||200,966||205,852||213,304||217,158|
|Revenue per employee – £16||198,897||202,850||207,931||204,319||200,637|
|Weekly sales per sq ft – £17||25.22||24.95||24.86||24.15||23.33|
- During the financial year, the Group decided to sell its operations in China. Accordingly, these operations have been treated as discontinued in 2014. The 2013 values have been re-presented to be consistent with 2014 and they have also been re-presented to account for the impact of IAS 19. Prior years have not been re-presented.
- Excludes Japan and the US.
- Excludes Japan.
- Operating profit includes restructuring costs and profit arising on sale of fixed assets. Operating margin is based upon revenue excluding IFRIC 13.
- See glossary for definitions.
- Dividend per share relating to the interim and proposed final dividend.
- Return on capital employed is profit before interest and tax less tax at the effective rate of tax divided by the calculated average of opening and closing net assets plus net debt plus dividend creditor less net assets held for resale.
- See glossary for definitions. Measured over a 5 year period.
- Includes Japan and the US.
- Includes the US.
- Market capitalisation plus net debt.
- Includes franchise stores but excludes Japan.
- Store sizes exclude lobby and restaurant areas.
- Restated to include Dobbies stores.
- Restated to include Dobbies stores and account for a space restatement of 109,000 sq ft driven by a comprehensive remeasurement of One Stop stores.
- Based on average number of full-time equivalent employees in the UK and revenue excluding IFRIC 13.
- Based on weighted average sales area and average weekly sales, excluding Dobbies stores.
- Includes Profits/Losses on property-related items.
- Excludes China.