Five year record
Details of our financial performance over the last five years
|Financial statistics (£m)|
|Sales including VAT excluding IFRIC 13||59,426||62,537||67,074||71,402||72,363|
|Revenue excluding IFRIC 13|
|Rest of Europe||8,862||8,724||9,192||9,866||9,319|
|Group revenue excluding IFRIC 13||54,327||57,502||61,174||64,541||65,398|
|Rest of Europe||496||474||527||529||329|
|Group trading profit||3,086||3,412||3,714||3,969||3,453|
|Operating profit margin3||5.8%||6.0%||6.4%||6.5%||3.3%|
|Share of post-tax profits of joint ventures and associates||110||33||57||91||54|
|Net finance costs||(362)||(314)||(333)||(235)||(282)|
|Profit before tax||2,917||3,176||3,641||4,038||1,960|
|Profit for the year from continuing operations||2,138||2,336||2,777||3,164||1,386|
|Profit for the period||2,138||2,336||2,671||2,814||120|
|Owners of the parent||2,133||2,327||2,655||2,806||124|
|Underlying profit before tax – continuing operations4||3,124||3,395||3,853||4,149||3,549|
|Other financial statistics|
|Diluted earnings per share – continuing operations||26.96p||29.19p||34.25p||39.23p||17.30p|
|Underlying diluted earnings per share – continuing operations||28.87p||31.66p||36.26p||40.31p||35.97p|
|Dividend per share5||11.96p||13.05p||14.46p||14.76p||14.76p|
|Return on capital employed (‘ROCE’)6||12.8%7||12.1%||12.9%8||14.7%||12.7%|
|Total shareholder return4||8.0%||9.5%||6.7%||(3.0)%||2.1%|
|Net debt (£m)||9,600||7,929||6,790||6,838||6,597|
|Enterprise value (£m)9||35,907||41,442||39,462||32,324||36,578|
|Group retail statistics|
|Number of stores||4,33212||4,83612||5,26510||6,049||6,784|
|Total sales area – 000 sq ft11||88,55612||95,23113||103,17210||110,563||116,236|
|Average full-time equivalent employees||364,015||366,413||382,049||401,791||416,441|
|UK retail statistics|
|Number of stores||2,306||2,507||2,715||2,979||3,146|
|Total sales area – 000 sq ft11||32,389||34,237||36,722||39,082||40,495|
|Average full-time equivalent employees||194,420||196,604||200,966||205,852||213,304|
|Revenue per employee – £14||195,597||198,897||202,850||207,931||204,305|
|Weekly sales per sq ft – £15||25.34||25.22||24.95||24.86||24.15|
- During the financial year, the Group decided to sell its operations in the US. Accordingly, these operations have been treated as discontinued in 2013. The 2012 statistics have been re-presented to be consistent with 2013. Prior years have not been re-presented.
- Excludes Japan.
- Operating profit includes restructuring costs and profit arising on sale of fixed assets. Operating margin is based upon revenue excluding IFRIC 13.
- See glossary for definitions.
- Dividend per share relating to the interim and proposed final dividend.
- Return on capital employed is profit before interest and tax less tax at the effective rate of tax divided by the calculated average of opening and closing net assets plus net debt plus dividend creditor less net assets held for resale.
- Excluding acquisition of Tesco Bank and Homever, India start-up costs, and after adjusting for assets held for sale. Calculated on a 52-week basis, ROCE for 2009 is 12.8%.
- Includes Japan.
- Market capitalisation plus net debt.
- Includes franchise stores but excludes Japan.
- Store sizes exclude lobby and restaurant areas.
- Restated to include Dobbies stores.
- Restated to include Dobbies stores and account for a space restatement of 109,000 sq ft driven by a comprehensive remeasurement of One Stop stores.
Based on average number of full-time equivalent employees in the UK and revenue excluding
- Based on weighted average sales area and average weekly sales, excluding Dobbies stores.