PLC | Investors

Changes in personal circumstances

If you move house

Please write to the Registrar, giving your old and new addresses and, if possible, your Tesco shareholder reference number. If we do not have a current address for you and your dividends are normally sent to you by cheque, they will be kept in a special account until you claim them. Alternatively you can log on to and register your change of address online. Unclaimed dividends accumulate, but do not earn interest and, after 12 years, you may no longer be entitled to claim them. It is a good idea to ensure that your family and other dependants also keep a record of the shares you own.

If your bank details change

If you have registered for the online service provided by Equiniti; Shareview, you can amend your bank details online. Otherwise you will need to write to Equiniti.

When writing, please quote both your old and new address and your eleven-digit shareholder reference, which you can find at the top of your share certificate.

If you change your name

You will need to notify Equiniti of your new name in writing. You will need to enclose evidence of your name change, such as your original marriage certificate, or your original change of name deed. You will also need to quote your eleven-digit shareholder reference number, which can be found at the top of your share certificates.

If a shareholder dies

We cannot transfer shares until we have received the information to enable us to change the register.

If the shares were held solely in the name of the deceased shareholder, send the Registrar a copy of the probate or letter of administration which appointed his or her legal representative. This should carry the seal of the Family Division of a court. The name of the legal representative will then be put on the register and the shares can either be sold or transferred to a beneficiary. To transfer the shares, ask the Registrar for a stock transfer form.

If, however, the estate in the deceased shareholder's sole name is below certain limits, the death can be registered through our small estates procedure. This is less expensive. Ask the Registrar for the current limits and the procedure.

If the shares were held in joint names, send Equiniti a copy of the death certificate and they will remove the deceased shareholder's name from the register. The shares will be registered in the name of the surviving holder(s) and the relevant share certificates will be amended.