Patriotic shoppers stock up on British classics ahead of Royal Wedding
18 May 2018
Patriotic shoppers are stocking up on classic British foods ahead of the Royal Wedding on May 19.
The wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle is set to create a feel good factor on British streets and in gardens as Brits hold celebratory parties.
Sales at Tesco of specially created Royal Wedding cakes, party food such as Scotch eggs, scones, jam, clotted cream and of course fizz to toast the couple’s health, are all expected to soar.
In the week leading up to the Royal Wedding, Tesco predicts it will sell five kilometres of bunting – enough to cover the distance of carriage procession from St. George’s Chapel to Windsor Castle.
It also predicts shoppers will buy around 1.5 million packets of scones – enough to get from Windsor Castle to Wembley, hosting the FA Cup Final later that day, six times.
Other pre-Royal Wedding sales predictions are as follows:
- 80,000 flags – enough for every one attending a Wembley final
- Nearly 35,000 packs of clotted cream
- 500,000 bottles of fizz including English sparkling wine
- 250,000 bottles of Pimms
- 1 million cream cakes
- 6,000 limited edition Royal Wedding cakes
- Nearly 1.5 million packs of tea
- 700,000 jars of jam
- More than 2 million punnets of strawberries
- More than 3 million sausage rolls
- Nearly 1.5 million Scotch and savoury eggs
- 2 million pork pies
- More than 8 million cocktail sausages
- 15 million bread rolls for burgers and sausages for BBQs if the weather is hot
- Nearly 1.5 million tubs of ice cream
- Nearly 3 million ice lollies
- 700,000 pre-mixed cans of classic cocktails such as Gin and Tonic
- Around 9000 special Royal Wedding bouquets
Joe Pothecary, manager of Tesco’s nearby Windsor Superstore, said local shoppers had already started stocking up on party style foods.
“We know from the last Royal Wedding and the Queen’s Jubilee celebration just how much Brits love a royal celebration and the marriage of Harry and Meghan will spark a feel good factor across the land with plenty of street and house parties.
“British party classics like pork pies and Scotch eggs as well as all the ingredients needed for a classic cream tea are already in high demand.
“And for sports fans there is the added bonus of the FA and Scottish Final cup finals which takes place later in the afternoon so for many the fun is likely to last into the night.”
Besides the specially created Victoria Sponge Tesco has also created a Royal Wedding bouquet and special Royal Wedding Shortbread housed in a commemorative tin.