Brits stock up on heatwave goods as World Cup BBQ fever continues
11 July 2018
England’s heroic World Cup trail and the heatwave moving into its third week will see Brits continue their feelgood al fresco BBQ parties this week.
With Britain continuing to rival the Mediterranean in temperature, Tesco customers have been creating huge demand for BBQ food, beer, wine as well as ice and electric fans to keep cool.
Based on last week’s sales Tesco predicts the following demand:
- Around 4 million burgers
- Nearly 3.5 Sausages
- More than 1 million packs of BBQ meat
- Beer/cider – More than 50 million bottles and cans
- Wine – Nearly 6 million bottles of wine
- More than 1 million tubs of ice cream
- Nearly 6 million ice lollies
- More than 1 million bags of ice cubes
- More than 2.5 million punnets of strawberries
- 1 million punnets of blueberries
- 4 million bags of salad
- More than 1.5 million packs of burger buns and hot dog rolls
- Electric fans – 25,000
- 150,000 bags of BBQ fuel
- Nearly 70,000 disposable BBQs
Tesco ice cream buying manager Sonia Morland said:
“The all too rare combination of Mediterranean weather and England progressing to the last four of the World Cup has created a contagious feelgood factor that is sweeping the country.
“Many people have switched their shopping habits and are continuing to enjoy BBQs in their gardens, as they make the most of the fantastic weather.”