Shoppers stocking up to celebrate a four day Jubilee jamboree
2 June 2022
Brits are getting set to turn the Queen’s jubilee into a four day jamboree with the promise of good weather prompting shoppers to stock up on BBQ and picnic food and drink.
With the forecast for much of Britain to remain dry with temperatures nudging 21C over the holiday, BBQ and picnic favourites such as burgers, sausages, pork pies and Scotch eggs have topped many shopping lists.
Tesco BBQ meat buyer Emily Allen said: “Since the beginning of the week we’ve seen a change in shopping habits with many people stocking up on outdoor food and getting ready for a four day celebration."
Judging by the early sales Tesco predicts that across the four day holiday it will sell:
- Nearly 900,000 packs of plant-based sausages and burgers
- More than 850,000 packs of BBQ meat
- More than 600,000 packs of burgers
- More than 1.3 million packs of sausages
- More than 1.3 million packs of pre-packed fish
- More than 1 million iceberg lettuces
- More than 300,000 packs of Greek/salad cheese
- More than 1.7 million packs of rolls and baguettes
- More than 2.3 million ice creams and lollies
- More than 6 million bottles/cans of beer
- Nearly 6 million bottles of wine