Patriotic shoppers stocking up on British classics ahead of Queen’s Jubilee
30 May 2022
Patriotic shoppers are set to create the strongest demand for British classic food in a decade ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.
The four-day Jubilee holiday starting next Thursday, June 2, is likely to bring a feel-good factor and signal many parties on UK streets and in gardens as Brits hold celebratory street and garden get-togethers.
Sales at Tesco of party food such as Scotch eggs, scones, cream cakes, bunting and special celebratory hats, and of course fizz, to toast the Queen’s health, are all expected to soar further.
In the week leading up to the Jubilee holiday weekend, Tesco predicts it will sell 60,000 rolls of bunting – enough to wrap around Windsor castle 10 times.
It also predicts shoppers will buy 50,000 Union Jack plates – enough to cover the length of Pall Mall and back nearly 20 times.
Other Queen’s Jubilee sales predictions are as follows:
- 50,000 Party hats – enough for every person in Windsor to have one and some for their pets
- 70,000 red, white & blue balloons – enough to have 90 in every room at Buckingham palace (775 rooms)
- More than 125,000 pots of clotted cream
- More than 150,000 bottles of champagne
- Up to 150,000 one litre bottles of Pimms
- Up to 4 million bottles of gin
- 2 million cream cakes
- 500,000 trifles
- 5 million punnets of strawberries
- 750,000 packs of sausage rolls
- 650,000 Scotch eggs
- 750,000 packs of pork pies
- Nearly 200,000 packs of plant-based equivalents to classic British party food favourites including 300,000 individual vegan sausage rolls
- 70,000 packs of Coronation chicken sandwich filler
- 40,000 Jubilee celebration cakes
Tesco Chilled Food Category Planner Alice Gallop said:
“We know from the two recent Royal Weddings just how much Brits love a royal celebration and the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee is set to spark a feel-good factor with plenty of street and house parties.
“As a result of that we are predicting the biggest concentrated demand for British classic food and drink for a decade with patriotic staples such as pork pies, Scotch eggs, Coronation chicken sandwich filler and ingredients for a classic cream tea likely to be at the top of many shopping lists.”