Tesco shoppers can round up their shop to the nearest £1 to support life-saving fundraising campaign
12 September 2022
From 12th September – 2nd October, Tesco shoppers can choose to round up their shop to the nearest £1 at self-service tills to help support an in-store fundraising campaign for three of the UK’s leading health charities.
Last year Tesco's ‘Helping you to live healthier’ campaign raised more than £1 million that will help Cancer Research UK, the British Heart Foundation and Diabetes UK to continue their vital work to improve and save lives.
In addition to the funds being raised, the campaign aims to increase awareness about the importance of making sustainable lifestyle changes that can help people to lower the impact of cancer, heart and circulatory diseases, and diabetes.
Trusted health information and advice will be shared with Tesco customers to empower them to take small steps to help improve their health.
Oonagh Turnbull, Head of Health Campaigns at Tesco, thanked Tesco shoppers for their support, which will make a significant difference to many people’s lives.
She added: “The funds raised will continue to support the health of UK communities at such a critical time. Our health charity partners rely on donations to continue their awareness, prevention and research work.”
The campaign is part of the Health Charity Partnership between Tesco, Cancer Research UK, the British Heart Foundation and Diabetes UK. It is an ongoing initiative aimed at inspiring and supporting Tesco colleagues, customers and their families to make healthier food choices and live healthier lives.
On behalf of the Health Charity Partnership, Michelle Mitchell, chief executive at Cancer Research UK, said: “We’d like to thank everyone who supports the important work we all do through this campaign, and we’re grateful for the generosity of shoppers up and down the country. Campaigns like ‘Helping you to live healthier’ are a great way to raise money, and to encourage people to make healthier choices that lead to healthier lifestyles. Every penny raised matters, and we don’t take a single donation for granted."
For further information, go to https://www.tescoplc.com/sustainability/taking-action/community/charity-partnerships/
About the Tesco Health Charity Partnership
The Health Charity Partnership between Tesco, Cancer Research UK, the British Heart Foundation and Diabetes UK started in 2018 and supports people in the UK to make sustainable lifestyle changes and adopt healthy habits. The partnership aims to encourage and support sustainable behaviour change, through a series of targeted activities and campaigns aimed at reducing the impact of cancer, heart and circulatory diseases and diabetes.
About Cancer Research UK
• Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research, influence, and information.
• Cancer Research UK’s pioneering work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives.
• Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival in the UK double in the last 40 years.
• Today, 2 in 4 people survive their cancer for at least 10 years. Cancer Research UK wants to accelerate progress and see 3 in 4 people surviving their cancer by 2034.
• Cancer Research UK supports research into the prevention and treatment of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses.
• Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK is working towards a world where people can live longer, better lives, free from the fear of cancer.
About the British Heart Foundation
• It is only with donations from the public that the British Heart Foundation (BHF) can keep its life saving research going. Help us turn science fiction into reality. With donations from the public, the BHF funds ground-breaking research that will get us closer than ever to a world free from the fear of heart and circulatory diseases. A world where broken hearts are mended, where millions more people survive a heart attack, where the number of people dying from or disabled by a stroke is slashed in half. A world where people affected by heart and circulatory diseases get the support they need. And a world of cures and treatments we can’t even imagine today. Find out more at www.bhf.org.uk
About Diabetes UK
• Diabetes UK’s aim is creating a world where diabetes can do no harm. Diabetes is the most devastating and fastest growing health crisis of our time, affecting more people than any other serious health condition in the UK - more than dementia and cancer combined. There is currently no known cure for any type of diabetes. With the right treatment, knowledge and support people living with diabetes can lead a long, full and healthy life. For more information about diabetes and the charity’s work, visit www.diabetes.org.uk