Tesco shoppers continue supporting life-saving fundraising campaign
3 February 2022
Generous shoppers are being encouraged to help support an in-store fundraising campaign for three of the UK’s leading health charities.
Last year Tesco's ‘Helping you to live healthier’ campaign raised more than £1 million after customers rounded up their shop to the nearest £1 at self-service tills.
Money raised will help Cancer Research UK, the British Heart Foundation and Diabetes UK to continue their vital work to improve and save lives.
As the charities fight back from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, shoppers are once again being urged to round up their shopping to the nearest £1 at self-service tills between 31 January and 13 February.
In addition to the funds being raised, the campaign aims to increase awareness in about the importance of making sustainable lifestyle changes that can help people to lower their risk of cancer, heart and circulatory diseases, and type 2 diabetes.
Trusted health information and advice will be shared with Tesco customers to empower them to take small steps to help improve their health.
Oonagh Turnbull, Head of Health Campaigns at Tesco, thanked Tesco shoppers for their generosity, which will make a significant difference to many people’s lives.
She added: “The funds raised will continue to support the health of UK communities at such a critical time. Our health charity partners rely on donations to continue their awareness, prevention and research work.”
The campaign is part of the Health Charity Partnership between Tesco, Cancer Research UK, the British Heart Foundation and Diabetes UK. It is an ongoing initiative aimed at inspiring and supporting Tesco colleagues, customers and their families to make healthier food choices and live healthier lives.
On behalf of the Health Charity Partnership, Caro Evans, Director of Partnerships at Cancer Research UK, said: “We’re delighted once again to be teaming up with Tesco to raise funds for research and for the vital support our charities provide. Cancer, heart and circulatory diseases, or diabetes affect nearly all of us so by working alongside Tesco we aim to empower millions of people to make healthier choices that can help lower their risk of these conditions. As always, we want to say a huge thank you to Tesco colleagues and customers for their support. With your help we can continue our work and continue to tackle some of the UK’s biggest health challenges.”
About the Tesco Health Charity Partnership
The Health Charity Partnership between Tesco, Cancer Research UK, the British Heart Foundation and Diabetes UK started in 2018 and supports people in the UK to make sustainable lifestyle changes and adopt healthy habits. The partnership aims to encourage and support sustainable behaviour change, through a series of targeted activities and campaigns aimed at reducing the risk of cancer, heart and circulatory diseases and type 2 diabetes.
About Cancer Research UK
• Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research.
• Cancer Research UK’s pioneering work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives.
• Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival in the UK double in the last 40 years.
• Today, 2 in 4 people survive their cancer for at least 10 years. Cancer Research UK’s ambition is to accelerate progress so that by 2034, 3 in 4 people will survive their cancer for at least 10 years.
• Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses.
• Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
About the British Heart Foundation
• The BHF’s Heart Helpline is opened Monday to Friday between 9am – 5pm. The number to call is 0300 330 3311 or you can also email email@example.com
• Calls to the Heart Helpline cost a similar rate to 01 02 numbers.
• With donations from the public, the BHF funds ground-breaking research that will get us closer than ever to a world free from the fear of heart and circulatory diseases. A world where broken hearts are mended, where millions more people survive a heart attack, where the number of people dying from or disabled by a stroke is slashed in half. A world where people affected by heart and circulatory diseases get the support they need. And a world of cures and treatments we can’t even imagine today. We are backing the best ideas, the brightest minds and the biggest ambitions - because that’s how we’ll beat heartbreak forever.
About Diabetes UK
• Diabetes UK’s aim is creating a world where diabetes can do no harm. Diabetes is the most devastating and fastest growing health crisis of our time, affecting more people than any other serious health condition in the UK - more than dementia and cancer combined. There is currently no known cure for any type of diabetes. With the right treatment, knowledge and support people living with diabetes can lead a long, full and healthy life. For more information about diabetes and the charity’s work, visit www.diabetes.org.uk