Brits are set to embrace European food traditions this Christmas
28 Nov 2016
European festive staples such as the sweet fruited breads Stollen, from Germany, and Panettone, from Italy, are now so popular in the UK that Tesco has seen demand double in the last three years.
The popularity of European Christmas markets, which are now very much part of the build up to Christmas in the UK, have helped to create a growing appetite for festive continental bread, cake, biscuits and other sweet treats.
Tesco Christmas cake buyer James Taylor said:
“The popularity of European Christmas markets and food have given Brits a real taste for continental festive sweet treats.
“For many families Stollen and Panettone and gingerbread houses are now as much festive staples as mince pies and Christmas puddings.
“Rather than having to travel to Europe or hunt down where the nearest market is being held, we hope our collection of festive delights will help to take a little bit of the hassle and cost out of Christmas for customers this year.”
Tesco has also seen growing demand for other continental Christmas treats like:
- Lebkuchen – German gingerbread cakes in the shape of hearts or stars made with honey and spices with demand up 15 per cent
- Spekulatzius – Biscuits that are popular in Holland, Germany and Belgium with demand up by over 10 per cent
As a result of the trend Tesco is also this Christmas selling a Ginger Bread House which is another German festive tradition but in the form of a kit which people can decorate themselves.
James Taylor added:
“The European range also includes the sumptuous and theatrical Reveal Dessert from western Europe, which brings the restaurant experience into the home, as well as thrilling guest around the table with an unexpected surprise.”
The full range will be available at Tesco stores across the country and online.
Note to editors
Included in Tesco’s Christmas selection of European breads, cakes and biscuits this year are the following:
- Tesco finest* Stollen
- Tesco finest* Almond & Cherry Stollen
- Tesco finest* Chocolate and Hazlenut Stollen
- Kuchenmeister Stollen Load
- Kuchenmeister Apple Stollen
- Kuchenmeister Stollen Loaf
- Kuchenmeister Stollen Bites
- Tesco finest* Panettone Cake
- Tesco finest* Amaretti and Amaretto Panettone
- Arden and Amici Panettone Classic
- Arden and Amici Panettone Chocolate
- Arden and Amici Clem Panettone Orange and Cranberry
- Arden and Amici Mini Panettone Orange and Cranberry
- Lebkuchen Iced Stars
- Lebkuchen Chocolate Hearts
- Spekulatzius Thins - Cinnamon
- Spekulatzius Thins – Almond
- Tesco Decorate Your Own Gingerbread House kit
For more information please contact the Tesco Press Office on 01707 918 701
We are a team of over 450,000 colleagues dedicated to serving shoppers a little better every day.