Tesco highlights support for food charities in second Christmas advert
17 Nov 2017
Tesco’s second Christmas advert shines a light on the support given by Tesco colleagues and customers to help people in need through winter.
Tesco will this weekend release the second of five Christmas television adverts, highlighting how the retailer and its customers give people in need a little extra help during the festive season.
The advert shows a local charity bringing people together to celebrate Christmas and using food donations from a Tesco store to cook a traditional Christmas lunch.
Last year, Tesco together with its customers, provided more than 4 million meals to people in need over the festive period, through its annual Food Collection and ongoing food surplus redistribution scheme.
Alessandra Bellini, Tesco Chief Customer Officer, said:
“Our second television advert shines a light on the incredible generosity of our customers at Christmas time, and the little helps Tesco can give people in need during the festive season.
“We’re delighted to hold our 10th Food Collection in partnership with FareShare and The Trussell Trust this year, and additionally donate £1 for every fresh turkey purchased at Tesco. We know our customers and colleagues really care about food poverty and we want to do our bit to help.
“This year, our Christmas campaign celebrates the many ways we come together at Christmas, and how food sits at the heart of it all. We want our customers to know that however they choose to do Christmas, and no matter what they need, we can help – Everyone’s Welcome at Tesco.”
Tesco’s 2017 Food Collection will run from Thursday 30 November to Saturday 2 December in all stores.
In addition, Tesco will donate £1 for every fresh turkey bought instore or online, shared between FareShare and The Trussell Trust to provide much needed support over the festive period.
Notes to editors:
- £1 from the sale of every fresh turkey in Tesco between 6 November 2017 and 25 December 2017 will be donated to FareShare and the Trussell Trust in equal proportions to help people in need this Christmas.
- FareShare is a charity fighting hunger and its underlying causes by providing food to more than 6,723 local charities and community organisations across the UK. Click here for more info fareshare.org.uk
- The Trussell Trust run a network of over 420 foodbanks across the UK that three days’ emergency food and support to people in crisis across. Click here for more info trusselltrust.org
- Tesco runs an annual Food Collection in partnership with FareShare and The Trussell Trust, so that customers can donate long-life food to help people in need at Christmas time: tesco.com/foodcollection
- Read FareShare CEO, Lindsay Boswell’s blog about this year’s Food Collection here: tescoplc.com/news/blogs/topics/charity-food-collection-fareshare-tesco/
- Community Food Connection is the retailer’s surplus food redistribution scheme in partnership with FareShare, which connects stores with local charities to donate unsold food for free: tesco.com/community-food-connection
- Since 2012, Tesco customers and colleagues have donated the equivalent of over 60 million meals to people in need.
For more information please contact the Tesco Press Office on 01707 918 701
We are a team of over 450,000 colleagues dedicated to serving shoppers a little better every day.