UK’s first ever real fruit ice lolly launched in time for heatwave
19 Jun 2017
A unique watermelon ice lolly is being launched as a healthy alternative summer treat.
And the thirst-quenching ‘real fruit on a stick’ lolly has just gone on sale exclusively in Tesco stores across the UK in time for the heatwave.
It’s believed to be the first time that a 100 per cent fruit lolly treat has been sold on British high streets.
Tesco Produce buying manager David Daniels said:
“Iced watermelon is the perfect accompaniment to a hot summer’s day.
“These thirst-quenching frozen lollies, made from a real piece of fruit, are a delicious and healthy alternative to a sweet treat for all the family.”
The watermelon lollies will be sold in a pack of four for £2 and will be available in more than 500 Tesco stores across the country.
Meanwhile with the hot weather returning this week shoppers have been stocking up for what is set to be a week of al fresco dining.
Over the course of the weekend Tesco estimated the following sales:
- 5 million packs of BBQ meat including chicken wings, slow cooked ribs and pulled pork
- More than 500k packs of burgers
- 400,000 salmon fillets
- More than 1million packs of sausages
- More than 350,000 packs of chicken portions
- Nearly 200,000 packs of Mediterranean style Deli sharing foods including antipasti, continental meats, falafel and kofta
- Nearly 1.5 million packs of BBQ rolls
- More than 1 million bagged salads
- 5 million punnets or 600 tonnes of strawberries
- 750,000 melons
- More than 21 million bottles/cans of beer
- More than 3.5 million bottles of wine
Tesco is committed to making it easier for customers and colleagues to live more healthily. Find out more here: https://www.tescoplc.com/tesco-and-society/healthier-living/
For more information please contact the Tesco Press Office on 01707 918 701
We are a team of 480,000 in 11 markets dedicated to serving shoppers a little better every day.