Rare gold-flecked gourmet avocado variety to be launched by Tesco
26 Sep 2017
A rare and unique gourmet variety of avocado is to be exclusively launched by Tesco across the UK.
The GEM® avocado which has eye-catching, natural gold flecks on its outer skin offers customers a smoother and creamier taste than regular varieties because it remains on the tree much longer.
It is also slightly sweeter than other varieties and has a thicker skin making it easier to scoop out with a spoon.
The launch should cause a stir for the growing number of UK avocado fans with demand so strong in the last few years that the fruit has even overtaken sales of oranges for the first time ever.
At Tesco, avocado demand is up by more than 30 per cent in the last year alone because of the current interest in healthy eating.
Tesco avocado buyer Andrew Pattison said:
“This outstanding avocado stands out from other varieties because of its rich taste, melt in the mouth texture, smooth creaminess and slight nuttiness.
“But it is also notable for its eye-catching golden lenticels or speckles which appear on the dark skin of the ripe fruit and which make it stand out from other avocado varieties.
“It’s not the kind of avocado you will want to mash up and turn into guacamole but rather show off as a special treat at a dinner party as either an exotic entrée or part of the main dish.”
The GEM® will be supplied from a number of countries, but specifically South Africa at the moment.
It is currently farmed by an elite group of licensed growers around the world. The ones Tesco are getting are grown in South African and are hand-picked to ensure the fruit remains in top condition.
Tesco recently sold two other rare varieties of avocado – a mini version called Zilla Eggs and a giant sized one called the Avozilla, which is roughly five times the size of the regular type.
The GEM®, which is licensed by avocado experts Westfalia, will be sold perfectly ripened and ready to eat in two pack sizes by Tesco from Monday Sept 25 – extra large for £3 and large for £2.75. They will be sold in around 200 stores across the UK.
Andrew Pattison added:
“Avocados have massively grown in popularity from the days when they were still considered a niche food 25 years ago and have even made their way onto British breakfast menus as a trendy and tasty addition to egg on toast.”
Note to editors
- Avocados are a source of vitamin E, which helps in the protection of cells from oxidative stress.
- They are also a source of B6, which aids the normal functioning of the nervous system. Vitamin B6 also helps in reducing tiredness and fatigue and supports the normal functioning of the immune system.
- The move by Tesco to sell the mini Zilla Eggs this summer was another way in which the supermarket is tackling food waste.
Due to their size the smaller avocados have been traditionally rejected by growers because they fall outside of normal size specifications and as such they go to waste. By taking this smaller crop Tesco has also helped growers by taking more of their avocado crop.
- Why not try the GEM®, as part of a delicious dish from Peru called Ceviche. An explosion of flavours – the combination of citrus juice, fresh herbs, chilli and creamy avocado adds a zingy flavour to this fresh Peruvian fish dish. The marinade ‘cooks’ the fish so make sure you use the freshest fish possible, as no heat is applied.
Ceviche with avocado
60 ml (¼ cup) lemon juice
20 ml (4 tsp) lime juice
30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped fresh coriander
30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped fresh mint
1-2 small red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
2 spring onions, finely chopped
400 g white fish, like hake or any other firm fish, skin and bones removed and cut into small cubes
2 ripe Gem® avocados, cubed
Coarse salt flakes and black pepper to taste
Fresh lime wedges to serve
- Mix the citrus juice, herbs, chillies and spring onions in a bowl. Allow to infuse for 15 minutes.
- Add the fish and avocado and allow to stand for no more than 2 minutes. Serve immediately with a pinch of salt and pepper and lime wedges.
For more information please contact the Tesco Press Office on 01707 918 701
We are a team of over 450,000 colleagues dedicated to serving shoppers a little better every day.