Tesco raises £40 million to help beat cancer
26 Apr 2017
Tesco and Cancer Research UK announced today the retailer has raised more than £40 million for the charity over the last 16 years, making the charity partnership one of the biggest ever in the UK.
Over £20 million of the total has been raised through Tesco’s hugely successful sponsorship of Race for Life, Cancer Research UK’s biggest annual fundraising event. As flagship sponsor, Tesco is integrated into all elements of the event series and has generated income through staff fundraising initiatives, in-store events and CRM products. Since the sponsorship began in 2002, nearly 300,000 Tesco colleagues have taken part in a Race for Life event.
As it embarks on a new health campaign to help colleagues and customers take steps to improve their health, Tesco will turn pink this weekend to support Race for Life. The event will see thousands of Tesco colleagues wear something pink in an effort to raise money for Cancer Research UK. Volunteers from the charity are invited into Tesco stores to fundraise, while in 200 F&F stores, customers will be able to donate their pre-loved clothing, shoes and accessories to Cancer Research UK to sell in its shops. In addition to this, throughout April, May and June, Tesco is aiming to raise over £350,000 through CRM products.
In 2012, Cancer Research UK was Tesco’s Charity of the Year and the supermarket raised over £12 million, against a £10 million target, through staff fundraising, customer donations and suppliers. In addition to Race for Life and Charity of the Year, the £40 million has also been achieved through stock generation campaigns for Cancer Research UK’s shops.
The money Tesco raises specifically funds research into the prevention of cancer.
Nick Gaynor, Executive Director of Philanthropy and Partnerships at Cancer Research UK said:
“We are overwhelmed by the fantastic support Tesco and their colleagues have given us over the last 16 years and thank everyone who has contributed to achieving this amazing total of £40 million.
“With Tesco’s support our scientists have been able to continue our work to look at how we can prevent people from getting cancer. We know that four out of ten cancers are linked to preventable causes and thanks to our partnership with Tesco, Cancer Research UK researchers and clinicians are making great progress and bringing forward the day when we will beat cancer.”
Lindsey Crompton, Head of Community at Tesco said:
“At Tesco we’re committed to helping our customers and colleagues live healthier lives, and our longstanding partnership with Cancer Research UK has played a hugely important role in that. The amount of money raised over the last 16 years is testament to the hard work of colleagues, suppliers and volunteers, as well as the fantastic generosity of our customers.
"It’s great to see the funds being put to such good use in research projects which will hopefully have a lasting effect as part of the fight against cancer.”
Notes to Editors
About Tesco’s partnership with Cancer Research UK
Tesco is celebrating 16 years in partnership with Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life.
- In 2002 Tesco joined forces with Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life to: encourage women across the UK to get active; to raise cancer awareness and; to raise funds for vital research.
- Since 2002, over 8.3 million women have taken part, including nearly 300,000 Tesco female colleagues.
- Over this period, Tesco colleagues have raised over £40 million, which includes over £20 million for Race for Life.
- Tesco Turns Pink, one of Tesco’s fundraising contributions to Cancer Research UK’s Race for Life campaign, has raised half a million since it started four years ago.
- Tesco pays the entrance fees of all colleagues wishing to take part in the Race for Life events.
- The money raised by Tesco colleagues is helping to fund three innovative research projects into behavioural changes that can prevent people getting cancer, as well as treatments for those at high risk of developing cancer.
For more information please contact the Tesco Press Office on 01707 918 701
We are a team of over 440,000 colleagues dedicated to serving shoppers a little better every day.