Tesco's “Everyone’s Welcome” Christmas campaign
6 Nov 2017
Tesco kicks off “Everyone’s Welcome” Christmas campaign and pledges to donate £1 for every fresh turkey sold to help people in need.
Tesco has launched its 2017 Christmas campaign with the first of five television adverts airing on ITV last night. This year, the retailer will be celebrating the different ways millions of UK shoppers enjoy Christmas, and how great food sits at the heart of it all. It will also provide lots of little helps for customers during the fun and frantic festive period.
The campaign, which kicked off last night, features Tesco’s fantastic range of turkey. Tesco are also proud to be offering their finest* Narragansett turkey which won the award for top Christmas turkey in the recent BBC Good Food awards.
Tesco will donate £1 for every fresh turkey bought instore or online, shared between its food charity partners FareShare and The Trussell Trust to help people in need over the festive period.
The initiative builds on the continued support offered by the retailer to local communities through its annual Food Collection, and its food surplus redistribution scheme, Community Food Connection. Last year, Tesco became the first retailer to pledge that no food that is safe for human consumption will go to waste from its UK operations, and since 2012, Tesco customers and colleagues have donated the equivalent of over 60 million meals to people in need.
Alessandra Bellini, Tesco Chief Customer Officer said:
“This year, our campaign will celebrate the many ways we come together at Christmas, and how food sits at the heart of it all. We want our customers to know that however they choose to do Christmas, and no matter what they need, we can help - Everyone’s Welcome at Tesco.
“As part of our campaign this year, we're delighted to work with our long-term charity partners FareShare and The Trussell Trust to donate £1 for every fresh turkey purchased to help feed people in need this Christmas – it’s another little help for our local communities at an important time of year.”
FareShare Chief Executive Lindsay Boswell said:
“Christmas is the one time of year that brings everyone together however, FareShare is seeing an increased demand to support charities who help people experiencing food poverty or who are alone at this time of year. This generous initiative from Tesco is perfect timing - it means we can help 6,700 charities across the country to continue providing food and life-changing services to those in need this Christmas."
Samantha Stapley, Operations Manager at The Trussell Trust said:
“We’re seeing soaring demand at foodbanks across the UK and right now thousands of people will be worrying about whether they can afford any food for the family this Christmas. This generous donation from Tesco will help us to support our foodbank network and tackle hunger in communities across the country, so we can hope in the future to see fewer people needing foodbanks - not only at Christmas, but all year round.”
Notes to editors:
- £1 from the sale of every fresh turkey in Tesco between 6 November 2017 and 25 December 2017 will be donated to FareShare and the Trussell Trust in equal proportions to help people in need this Christmas.
- FareShare is a unique charity fighting hunger and its underlying causes by providing food to more than 1,923 local charities and community organisations across the UK. Click here for more info fareshare.org.uk
- The Trussell Trust run a network of over 420 foodbanks across the UK that three days’ emergency food and support to people in crisis across. Click here for more info trusselltrust.org
- Tesco runs an annual Food Collection in partnership with FareShare and The Trussell Trust, so that customers can donate long-life food to help people in need at Christmas time: tesco.com/foodcollection
- Community Food Connection is the retailer’s surplus food redistribution scheme in partnership with FareShare, which connects stores with local charities to donate unsold food for free: tesco.com/community-food-connection
For more information please contact the Tesco Press Office on 01707 918 701
We are a team of over 440,000 colleagues dedicated to serving customers a little better every day.