BBQ season officially on the way as heatwave hits Britain
20 Apr 2018
With Britain basking in hotter than Mediterranean temperatures this week shoppers have wasted no time in stocking up on BBQ foods.
Demand for BBQ foods at Tesco this weekend is set to soar, with fresh fruit like strawberries, as well as ice cream and ice lollies also set to be high on customers’ shopping lists.
Tesco BBQ meat range buyer Natalie Bastow said:
“After months of rain and with temperatures set to hit 25C plus this will be the first real opportunity Brits have had this year to get out into the garden and enjoy a BBQ with family and friends.
“Shoppers are wasting no time in stocking up for what is set to be a great few days of fun with al fresco cooking for a change.
“This season we’ve brought in some really mouth-watering gourmet BBQ treats such as teriyaki kebabs; succulent Thai spiced fish sliders and chicken and chorizo sliders to help customers dine in style.”
Based on growing early demand Tesco predicts, over the course of the week until Sunday to sell:
- More than 8 million sausages
- Around 2 million burgers
- 750,000 steaks
- Nearly 2 million chicken drumsticks
- More than 400,000 packs of BBQ meat
- 600,000 packs of BBQ rolls
- 450,000 packs of Feta and Halloumi cheese
- More than 2 million punnets of strawberries
- Nearly 1.5million punnets of blueberries
- Nearly 1.5 million punnets of raspberries
- 200,000 pineapples
- 3 million ice lollies
- Around 1.5 million tubs of ice cream
- Nearly 25 million bottles/cans of beer
- Nearly million bottles of wine
- 350,000 plants
- 37,000 summer vests
- 40,000 summer dresses
- Nearly 35,000 hats
- 80,000 pairs of men’s, women’s and kid’s sandals and flip flops
- 18,000 sunglasses
- 30,000 swimsuits
Tesco is bracing itself for demand to continue next week and has allocated extra shelf space for BBQ foods, beer and wine.
For more information please contact the Tesco Press Office on 01707 918 701
We are a team of over 450,000 colleagues dedicated to serving shoppers a little better every day.