Tesco announces its support for 2019’s most innovative young food and drink brands
27 Jun 2019
Tesco has revealed the six food and drink brands it will partner with as part of its 2019 Incubator programme, as it looks to help young, innovative suppliers grow and reach their potential.
Established in 2017, Tesco’s Incubator programme is designed to give a helping hand to a carefully selected group of small entrepreneurial brands that have the potential to offer something different and exciting to customers.
Over the past two years, 28 suppliers have participated in the programme, with brands such as Brewdog, Propercorn, Fevertree, Bol and Graze going on to become household names.
Once selected, each brand completes a comprehensive year-long programme that includes advice and guidance on marketing products effectively, responding to Tesco customer insight, supported through dunnhumby, as well as tips and mentorship from Tesco’s experienced Product team.
2019’s food and drink brands are:
- Biotiful – whose Kefir products are a major growth area for Tesco, helping it meet increasing demand for products which improve gut health
- Mara Seaweed – whose seaweed products act as a healthy alternative to salt-based seasoning, as customers look for healthier alternatives without compromising on taste
- Just Love Food Company – who offer a nut-free, gluten free, milk free and egg free (vegan) range of celebration cakes to meet the increasing demand for free-from products for those with allergies
- Ugly Drinks – whose natural, flavoured sparkling water is sugar and sweetener free, providing customers with a healthier carbonated drink choice
- SimplyCook – who offer three-step cooking kits for the recipes they know customers want to make based on insight from their e-commerce food kit business
- Thornbridge – who are creating exclusive, innovative craft beers for Tesco to keep up with customer demand
2019’s non-food brands are:
- Naturo – a family owned pet food company with locally sourced ingredients and sold in packaging from 100% recyclable materials
- MUD – an Australian cosmetics brand, who will offer customers affordable, achievable and convenient access to on-trend looks from runway to street style.
- Rascal and Friends – a nappy brand, who offer a premium product at an affordable price with “no nasties”.
With two-thirds of customers looking for supermarkets to support them to live healthier lives, it’s never been more important for Tesco to offer products which reflect the latest health and wellness trends. Many of this year’s intake of brands – Biotiful, Mara Seaweed and the Just Love Food Company – reflect this aim.
Andrew Yaxley, Tesco’s Group Chief Commercial Officer said: “Our Incubator Programme is a really important part of the work we’ve done in recent years to build closer, long-term partnerships with our suppliers. There are so many brilliant brands out there and we’re proud to partner with some of those we believe are at the forefront of the latest consumer trends. By working in partnership, we can provide customers with fantastic, innovative products, and continue to help suppliers of all shapes and sizes develop and grow with us.”
Notes to editors:
To read more on our Incubator Programme, please click here.
For more information please contact the Tesco Press Office on 01707 918 701
We are a team of over 440,000 colleagues dedicated to serving customers a little better every day.