Our approach to pay and reward
Tesco’s most important asset is its people. Business success depends on the performance and contribution of each individual colleague but outstanding performance comes from teamwork. Therefore, our approach to reward throughout Tesco is guided by a framework of common objectives and principles which are outlined below.
Attract - Enable Tesco to recruit the right people
Motivate - Incentivise colleagues to deliver our business goals together
Recognise - Acknowledge individual contribution and performance
Align - Create shareholder value by focussing colleagues on making what matters better
Remain - Foster loyalty and pride in Tesco so that colleagues want to stay with us
- We assess competitiveness on a total reward basis including financial and non-financial rewards
- Reward reflects an individual's role, experience, performance and contribution
- Reward is set with reference to external market practice and internal relativity
- Reward is simple, clear, and easy to understand
- We avoid unnecessary complexity
- Reward is delivered accurately
- Policies are transparent, and applied consistently and equitably
- Reward decisions are trusted and properly governed
- Reward is legal and compliant
- Reward is aligned to the business strategy, reflects our performance and is affordable
- Our reward framework is flexible to meet the changing needs of the business
- We reward in a responsible way
Reward arrangements throughout the Group
Tesco is one of the largest public company employers in the world. Our colleagues come from diverse backgrounds reflecting the countries we operate in and the range of skills we need to
run our various businesses (from stores to banking to telecoms).
Reward packages therefore differ taking into account appropriate factors but they are all built around the common reward objectives and principles outlined above.
- Annual bonus – Annual bonuses throughout the Group are linked to local business performance and Group success in a structure that is consistent with the Executive Directors’ annual bonus with a focus on sales, profit and individual performance.
- Share incentives – Our senior managers across the Group participate in the Performance Share Plan based on similar performance conditions to those for the Executive Directors’ PSP and all of our management team receive some of their bonus in Tesco shares, deferred for a period of two or three years.
- Colleagues as shareholders – It is an important part of the Tesco Values that all colleagues, not just management, have the opportunity to become Tesco shareholders. Over 170,000 of our colleagues participate in our all-employee schemes and hold over 90 million shares in our Share Incentive Plan and over 244 million options over shares in our Save As You Earn scheme.